. . In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH Council Meeting Minutes Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
( X ) Nancy Evans, box 61 ( _ ) Tom Nixon, box 7
( X ) Bonnie Finnerty, box 36 ( X ) Peter Nordell, box 222
( X ) Deb Koop, box 114 ( X ) Jim Patrick, box 232
( X ) Kevin Martini, box 213 ( _ ) Sue Schubert, box 43
( X ) Pastor Paul Mattson ( X ) Dan Wisniak, box 230
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA
Tom added (via email) changing the council meeting night (OB#4). Nancy added discussion of CDs (NB#4). Peter moved to accept the amended agenda. Jim seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL
There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and all missions and gatherings at Immanuel should be able to resume normally soon. The youth program is great and growing! The BeFrienders ministry is taking cautious steps in moving forward. We are pleased with the work of the new financial secretary. Our snow shoveling volunteers got some time off when that last snowstorm missed us.
DEVOTIONS – Chapter 2 from the book “The Post Quarantine Church” by Thom Rainer
This month: Nancy Evans Next month: Bonnie Finnerty
REVIEW & ACCEPTANCE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS FROM FEBRUARY
A motion was made by Nancy to accept the February financial report. Seconded by Peter. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM FEBRUARY
Approved previously via email.
1. COMMITTEES – No reports
2. OPENINGS ON FINANCIAL TEAM – Peter Nordell volunteered to serve on the financial team with Jim Stolle and possibly James Freese.
3. CHURCH VEGETABLE GARDEN – Bonnie shared thoughts and questions on the operations of the garden. She hopes to form a committee to help in planning for something new this year.
4. COUNCIL MEETING DATES – Via email, Tom asked if the council meeting dates could return to the second Tuesday of each month. Pastor Paul will ask the financial secretary, Deb Eatros, if she thinks she can have financial reports ready a week earlier without too much pressure. The motion was tabled until we hear back from her. (Edit – when asked the next morning, Deb said she needs the extra week to complete financial reports , at least in these first few months as she is learning our system, so meetings will remain on the third Tuesday at least through spring.)
1. REVIEW AND APPOINT COMMITTEE LIAISONS – Appointments were updated. Pastor Paul will share the changes with Brenda Hayes for publication.
2. PAYROLL DATES CLARIFICATION – Deb Eatros brought it to our attention that payrolls have been tabulated as the 1st through the 14th, and the 15th through the last day of the month, but the employee handbook states the pay period is the 1st through the 15th, and the 16t h through the last day of the month. Nancy moved that the Quickbooks payroll system should be changed to the 1st through the 15th to match the employee handbook. Dan seconded. The motion passed by unanimous vote.
3. PURCHASE OF SMART TV FOR PHOTO DISPLAY IN THE FRONT ENTRY HALLWAY – Dan moved to accept the bid from Stewart Sound Systems, Crosby, for the purchase of a Vizio smart TV, mounting hardware, installation, and data sticks at a cost of $760 to be paid from the technology memorial account. Jim seconded. Motion passed by unanimous vote .
4. CERTIFICATES OF DEPOSIT (CDS) – A member of the finance team suggested that ILC has money locked in some CDs (i.e. Elsie Anderson CD) tha t isn’t being utilized and might be better move d into the general operating fund. Pastor explained that the CDs were donated to the church for specific purposes (i.e. seasonal flowers and landscaping) and they might not get used every year, but other years they’ll get tapped heavily (i.e. when we build the addition and need landscaping). Jim moved that we let the CDs accrue interest for now, and revisit the issue if money is needed in the future. Nancy seconded. Motion passed by unanimous vote .
Respectfully submitted by Nancy Evans, Council Secretary