IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH Council Meeting Minutes Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 6:30 p.m.
(-) Jerry DeCent, box 50 (-) Pastor Paul Mattson
(-) Nancy Evans, box 61 (X) Tom Nixon, box 07
(-) Bonnie Goshey, box 36 (X) Peter Nordell, box 222
(X) Deb Koop, box 114 (X) David Pundt, box 295
(X) Kevin Martini, box 213 (X) Bonnie LaPierre, box 119
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA Motion by Bonnie L to accept agenda, seconded by Nancy. Motion passed unanimously.
READING OF THE VISION STATEMENT & MISSION STATEMENT
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL: Baptism on Sunday; good youth meeting last week; youth mentorship returning; harvest is well underway; successful Manna for Malawi event
DEVOTIONS: BOOK- RESILIENT BY JOHN ELDREDGE; CHAPTER 5
This month: Nancy Evans Next month: Jerry DeCent
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM AUGUST 2023- Minutes approved by email.
FINANCIAL STATEMENT AND DISCUSSION- Motion by Peter and seconded by David to accept the financial statement. Motion passed unanimously.
1. COMMITTEE REPORTS PERSONNEL: The personnel committee will be looking at defining position descriptions and job duties to align with what is needed for the position. Council members will be having conversations with staff about their roles and their expectations to understand better what staff need.
2. BUDGET COMMITTEE- There is an opening on the budget committee. The person needs to be skilled with numbers and have some budgeting experience. We will add to the back of the connection card for interest within our congregation.
3. VISION TO ACTION- A meeting will be called in the next few months to bring together people who have expressed interest so we can have a conversation about next steps.
4. PASTOR PURSUIT- We will be obtaining information from NALC and LCMC about the process we need to take to move forward with calling a new pastor. Once that information is received, we will have a committee review and bring the information to the congregation. A second committee will be formed for the actual calling process.
5. PATH OF HOPE AND GROUNDS UPKEEP- A motion was made by Peter and seconded by Kevin to accept the bid from T&J services, for a cost of no more than $3,000. This is to bring in the soil, spread it and seed. Motion passed unanimously. Redoing the yard was approved by the council in 2022. This is to be done for safety reasons and the new bid is a substantial cost savings from other bids we received. They will be able to do the work this fall.
1. INSURANCE QUOTES/PRESENTATION- Discussion was had on the insurance quotes from Grunell and Church Mutual. A motion was made by Peter and seconded by David to review possible moving our insurance to Church Mutual. Motion passed unanimously. We will discuss this further next month. Church Mutual specializes in insuring churches and parsonages.
THE LORD’S PRAYER & ADJOURNMENT
Next meeting set for
October 17th, 2023, 6:30 p.m.