. . In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH Council Meeting Minutes Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
( X ) Nancy Evans, box 61 ( X ) Tom Nixon, box 7
( X ) Bonnie Finnerty, box 36 ( X ) Peter Nordell, box 222
( X ) Deb Koop, box 114 ( X ) Jim Patrick, box 232
( X ) Kevin Martini, box 213 ( X ) Sue Schubert, box 43
( X ) Pastor Paul Mattson ( X ) Dan Wisniak, box 230
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA
Nancy moved to accept the agenda. Tom seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL
Rally Sunday was a meaningful service with beautiful music. Youth group is kicking off this week. Excitement is growing for the upcoming Christmas bazaar. Our church-wide fall book study is starting, and initial feedback has been positive.
DEVOTIONS – A reading on gentleness and kindness, based on Ephesians 4:2
This month: Peter Nordell Next month: Jim Patrick
REVIEW & ACCEPTANCE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS FROM AUGUST
A motion was made by Tom to accept the August financial report. Seconded by Kevin. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM AUGUST
Approved previously via email.
Dan reported that there is one immediate opening on the personnel committee. Anyone interested in helping on this committee should speak to Sandy Twigg, Mary Aulie, or Pastor Paul.
1. NEED AND COST FOR NEW VIDEO/AUDIO SYSTEM (TABLED FROM AUGUST) The council is interested in moving forward with this purchase. Pastor Paul will write an article for the monthly newsletter explaining the benefits of upgrading our AV system to be able to take advantage of today’s technologies and improve access to our weekly services. Our goal is to raise one third of the cost through donations before placing the order.
2. A CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR A COMMITTEE TO REVIEW/REVISE BUILDING PLANS– Between the Covid resurgence and construction cost uncertainties, there was a consensus that the timing is not right to advance this idea. Jim moved, seconded by Tom, to raise this topic at the annual meeting of the congregation in February. Motion passed unanimously.
3. CONSTRUCTION BIDS ON PARSONAGE REPAIRS (TABLED FROM AUGUST) – After an unsuccessful attempt to secure a second bid, Nancy moved to accept the $11,935 bid from Y-Knot Ranch Construction to replace the 20-yr-old shingles on the parsonage & garage, replace the upstairs bathroom vent, and repair and repaint the ceiling of that bathroom. Deb seconded. Motion passed 9-0 with one abstention. Funds should come from the major capital improvement budget.
1. UPDATED FUNERAL POLICIES – Nick Zilmer met with Pastor Paul, Elaine Karel, and Brenda Hayes to review the current funeral policies, fees, and honorariums. He recommended raising our fees to more closely match what other churches in the area are charging (see attached). Dan moved, seconded by Tom, to accept the group’s pricing recommendations. Motion passed unanimously.
2. DISCUSSION ON FINANCIAL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES – Deb Eatros, ILC Treasurer, has learned that tax and payroll laws require us to have certain policies and procedures in place that we are currently lacking. The council asks that she present her suggestions for financial policy and procedure changes directly to them for review. Nancy will meet with office staff to clarify this.
3. NEW BOOK STUDY FOR COUNCIL MEMBERS – the council will begin reading/discussing the book Learning to Lead like Jesus: 11 Principles to Help You Serve, Inspire, and Equip Others, by Boyd Bailey.
THE LORD’S PRAYER
ADJOURNMENT (8:10 P.M.)
Next meeting set for October 19, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Nancy Evans, council secretary