. . In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH Council Meeting Minutes Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
( X ) Nancy Evans, box 61 ( X ) Tom Nixon, box 7
( X ) Bonnie Finnerty, box 36 ( – ) Peter Nordell, box 222
( X ) Deb Koop, box 114 ( – ) Jim Patrick, box 232
( X ) Kevin Martini, box 213 ( X ) Sue Schubert, box 43
( X ) Pastor Paul Mattson ( X ) Dan Wisniak, box 230
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA
Pastor Paul added “bid for AC compressor” (NB#4) and bid for “parsonage work” (NB#5). Bonnie moved to accept the amended agenda. Tom seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL
Appreciation of the dedicated team of volunteers spending endless hours planning the Manna for Malawi event. Appreciation of Deb Koop filling in for Pastor Paul for Sunday July 11 service. By offering only one service on Sunday July 4, it was an opportunity to see congregates who normally attend at a different time. Happy that at least a few things are growing well in the church garden. In spite of all the “help wanted” signs in town, we continue to receive applicants when job openings occur. Appreciation of all our church staff, both new and experienced!
DEVOTIONS – Chapter 6 from the book “The Post Quarantine Church” by Thom Rainer
This month: Pastor Paul Next month: Tom Nixon
REVIEW & ACCEPTANCE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS FROM JUNE
A motion was made by Nancy to accept the June financial report. Seconded by Dan. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM JUNE
Approved previously via email. A motion was made by Tom, seconded by Kevin, to accept the results from email votes taken on July 8 approving the change to pay period dates for staff at ILC and on July 14 approving the hiring of Scott Olander as custodian.
1. NEED AND COST FOR NEW VIDEO/AUDIO SYSTEM – Jody Stewart of Stewart Sound Systems explained how new Sony HD cameras and a new switcher would allow us to stream church services live. Once the purchase is approved, he could have the system installed in 4-6 weeks including training of the staff who will use it. The council decided to wait until August or later to make a final decision based on the cost.
2. BIWEEKLY PAYROLL CHANGE FOR 2022 – Bonnie moved, seconded by Tom, to change payroll to bi-weekly in 2022 as recommended by Deb Eatros. Motion passed unanimously.
1. CALLING A NEW COMMITTEE TO REVIEW/REVISE BUILDING PLANS – Discussion centered on whether we are ready to continue planning for a building addition to the church. Have the priorities for new space changed? Are construction costs currently too high? Might the pandemic interrupt the process once again? Further discussion tabled for a month or two.
2. NEED FOR FINANCIAL AUDIT COMMITTEE – John Klopfleisch explained the history of the in-house audit committee, and asked if there is a need for continued service. Tom moved, seconded by Bonnie, that the audit committee conduct a spot-check at the halfway point of the fiscal year, and then report back to the council with their findings and their recommendations. Additionally, it was moved that a professional audit be conducted at the end of the fiscal year. Motion passed unanimously. On behalf of the volunteer offering counters, John requested that the duty of recording and depositing miscellaneous funds that arrive via mail or black box drop-offs should fall to office staff. Pastor Paul will notify Brenda Hayes and Deb Eatros of this change.
3. PLANNING AHEAD FOR STAFF SALARIES FOR 2022 – Wages are rising. Cost of living is rising. Competition is stiff in hiring and retaining employees. Initial discussion of what our budget will allow us to offer in wage increases and/or what other non-monetary compensation could be offered to our staff.
4. AC COMPRESSOR BID – Tom moved, seconded by Sue, accepting the $3700 bid from Thelen Heating to replace the compressor in the west air conditioning unit . Motion passed unanimously.
5. CONSTRUCTION BIDS ON PARSONAGE REPAIRS – Dan moved, seconded by Tom, to accept the $11,935 bid from Y-Knot Ranch Construction to replace the 20-yr-old shingles on the parsonage & garage, replace the upstairs bathroom vent, and repair and repaint the ceiling of that bathroom. Motion was tabled to get a second bid.
THE LORD’S PRAYER
ADJOURNMENT (8:55 P.M.)
Next meeting set for August 17, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Nancy Evans, Council Secretary