. . . In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 6:30 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA
Nancy added 2020 preliminary budget (NB#6), gift cards for staff (NB#7), and wage adjustment (OB#5). Dan added mileage for custodian (NB#8). Jim added parking signs (NB#9). Jim moved to accept the amended agenda. Dan seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL
Deb Marlton is back! A couple of new volunteers helped our small team put up the Christmas decorations at church. Chuck, the new custodian, has been going above and beyond, and his efforts have been noticed and appreciated. Our snow shoveling volunteers have been doing a marvelous job.
HOMEWORK – from the book Why Nobody Wants to Go to Church Anymore – postponed
Next month: Deb Koop
REVIEW & ACCEPTANCE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS FROM NOVEMBER
Nancy moved that we accept the financial report for November. Deb seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM NOVEMBER
November minutes were approved previously via email.
1. COMMITTEES – a) The building finance team met on Nov. 20. They heard a presentation by Randy Stanfield on a proposal received from Baratto Brothers. The finance team will develop a capital fund drive proposal to present to the congregation when more specifics are known. b)The bylaws team has not met and needs to do so prior to the Jan. newletter deadline (Dec. 16).
2. YOUNG ADULT SUMMIT – Pastor suggested that the council should host another Young Adult Summit (adults aged 20-40) in January.
3. CHURCH SECURITY TEAM – Pastor Paul, Brian Marquart, and Rick Koop attended a presentation on security issues. They recommend we form a team to write a plan/policy for emergency situations.
4. FIREPLACE – Dick Gunter arranged for repair of the gas fireplace in the library. Cost $120 (repair/maintenance)
5. WAGE ADJUSTMENT – Tammy Freeburg’s salary was incorrectly reported on the wage sheet presented last month. Her correct pay should be $12/hr currently and $13/hr after the probationary period. Rick moved, Nancy seconded, that we approve that change. Motion passed unanimously.
1. DONATION REQUEST – tabled until Bob returns.
2. DIVIDERS FOR SUNDAY SCHOOL – Sunday school teachers have requested two additional room dividers (estimated cost $1200 each). Anyone with ideas of other solutions for creating Sunday school space are invited to discuss those at the next meeting of the children’s ministry team.
3. COUNCIL ELECTIONS 2020 – The nominating team of Susan Bushard and Joe Simons are to be notified that there are three council openings beginning Feb. 2, 2020, replacing Bob Neros, Rick Kleinschmidt, and Robyn Maki for 3-year terms.
4. VACATION PAY – Rick moved, Deb seconded, that we pay $935.68 to Don Imberi for unused vacation time. This departs from the standard 60 hours due to the accrual of his vacation hours having not been properly tallied during his tenure. Motion passed unanimously.
5. SANCTUARY PROJECTOR – The 8-yr old Powerpoint projector needs a $500 bulb. Paul moved, Nancy seconded, purchasing a new laser projector (Stewart Sound Systems, $2950.70, includes installation) which will be brighter, last longer, and be easier to maintain. Motion passed unanimously. (code to major capital)
6. 2020 BUDGET PROPOSAL – Jim Stolle and Gordy Jacobson presented the preliminary budget for 2020 that the finance team has been working on since October. It cannot be finalized until income and expenses for December are tallied. They will return next month to give the team’s final recommendation.
7. CHRISTMAS GIFT CARDS – Jim moved, Casey seconded, that $750 in gift cards be purchased for the thirteen staff members at church. Seven votes yes, one abstention. Motion carried.
8. MILEAGE – Dan moved to pay the standard mileage rate for the custodian for work-related driving with approval of his supervisor using Google maps for miles. Jim seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
9. PARKING SIGNS – Paul will check with K&M Signs about changeable signage options (Sundays only) designating all parking spots on the west end (by the office door) as handicapped including one labeled specifically for the Heartwood shuttle.