. . . . in the President’s Corner
. . . In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Monday, November 13, 2018, 6:30 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA
To new business, Bob added snow plowing. Rick moved to accept the amended agenda. Robyn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL
Wonderful bazaar. Kick off of stewardship drive went well. Welcoming of new members.
DEVOTIONS -from the book “365 Days of Thanksgiving”
This month: Deb KoopNext month: Robyn Maki
REVIEW & ACCEPTANCE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS FROM OCTOBER
A motion was made by Dan to accept the October financial report. Seconded by Casey. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM OCTOBER
Approved previously via email.
1. COMMITTEES –
A. Personnel: Rick moved that we pay a $350 annual fee (tech budget) to provide Brenda Hayes a secure remote access from her home computer to the church server for inclement winter weather days. Nancy seconded. Passed unanimously. Rick also moved that we approve 6 hours pay in the next month for Brenda Lofquist to train the new office personnel on end-of-year tasks on Servant Keeper. Dan seconded. Passed unanimously. Brenda Hayes’ pay increase following her probationary period has been delayed until records are checked to resolve amount of that increase. It was noted that there is a need for a written contract at the time of new hires.
B.Stewardship: Casey and Pastor Paul reported that the stewardship team has been meeting. They will focus on highlighting financial giving in the fall and use of time and talent in the spring.
2. CAPITAL EXPENDITURE FORM – Bob asked the council to look over the form and think about the timing requirement for reporting and about who should approve the request. Further action tabled.
3. PARSONAGE BIDS – Casey has received a bid from Y-Knot Ranch Construction and is waiting for a second, more detailed bid from Holz Construction.
1. FINANCE COMMITTEE – Dan moved that we accept Gene Lofquist’s recommendation for members of the finance committee. The committee would consist of the financial secretary, Hal Kirchoff, Gordy Jacobson, Wendy Chirhart, Holly Hunter, and John Klopfleisch. Casey is the council liason. Anyone else who is interested can be listed as “at large.” Deb seconded. Passed unanimously.
2. NOISE LEVEL PRE-SERVICE – There has been a suggestion that the congregation should be encouraged to sit quietly once the music has begun pre-service. Others feel conversing within our faith family during gathering music is appropriate, and it doesn’t need to be quiet until the official Call to Worship. No action taken.
3. MEMBERS LEAVING – There was a question as to what the process is when a family or individual leaves the church. Do we look for the reason? Pastor said he reaches out to those who are leaving. Some are open to discussing their reasons and others do not share. All are told that they would be welcomed back with open arms if they change their minds.
4. UNDERSTANDING CHURCH SIZE – Due to time constraints, Pastor Paul passed out information on this topic and asked the council to read it for discussion next month.
5. MEAL WITH A MISSION DEC. 9 – The council will host this meal to raise funds for coaching on an outcome-based youth ministry program, a congregational approach to instructing our children.
6. SNOW PLOWING– Jim Patrick would like the opportunity to bid on the snow removal contract at church. He was instructed to talk with Dick Gunter.
7. PERSONNEL MATTER– Dan moved that Brenda Lofquist be awarded the love offering collected for her andreceive an appreciation gift of $100 for each full year of service as per the new policy passed in September. Karen seconded. Six voted in favor and 4 voted against. Motion passed.