. . In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 6:30 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER
ACCEPTANCE OF AGENDA
Nancy added parking signs (OB#6), and election of council officers (NB#1). Rick moved to accept the amended agenda. Jim seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
CELEBRATING THE JOYS OF IMMANUEL
Good turnout of kids/families for the New Year’s Eve event at Hallett. Strong attendance at all three Christmas Eve services. Generous offering gifts received in December. Outstanding church staff – pleasant, cooperative, dedicated.
HOMEWORK – from the book Why Nobody Wants to Go to Church Anymore – postponed
Next month: Pastor Paul
REVIEW & ACCEPTANCE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS FROM DECEMBER
Nancy moved that we accept the financial report for December. Robyn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
DISCUSSION/QUESTIONS ON THE MINUTES FROM DECEMBER
December minutes were approved previously via email.
1. COMMITTEES – Most committees, with the exception of budget, did not meet over the holidays. (See budget below NB#4)
2. DONATION REQUESTS – None at this time.
3. CHURCH SECURITY TEAM – Pastor Paul, Brian Marquart, Rick Koop, and Rick Kleinschmidt will meet Thursday, Jan. 16 at 6:30 p.m. in the Fireside Room to discuss a plan in the event of an active shooter or other emergency.
4. DIVIDERS – The Sunday school team feels a minimum of two new room dividers are needed to create adequate space for classes on Sunday mornings. Nancy moved, seconded by Rick, that two dividers be purchased at a cost of $1294 each and charged to capital improvement. Motion passed unanimously.
4. FIREPLACE – An additional service call was made to clean the flue. The fireplace now works.
5. PARKING SIGNS – K & M Signs will make a slipcover reading “Heartwood Shuttle” for one of the handicapped spots by the office on Sundays. When the ground has thawed in the spring, we will look at installing more handicapped spots along that side of the building.
1. COUNCIL NOMINEES AND OFFICER ELECTION – The nominating committee of Susan Bushard and Joe Simons along with departing council members Bob Neros, Rick Kleinschmidt, and Robyn Maki have been speaking to members of the congregation seeking new council members. Peter Nordell attended tonight’s meeting to check it out before making a firm decision. Two more interested people are needed, and hopefully they will come forward prior to the annual meeting Feb. 2. For council officers in 2020, Casey Kannel was nominated for president, Nancy Evans was nominated for vice-president, and Deb Koop was nominated for secretary. Robyn moved to accept these nominations. Karen seconded. The motion passed with six votes for and one abstention.
2. PERSONNEL COMMITTEE OPENINGS – Bob moved, seconded by Jim, to name Rick Kleinschmidt to the personnel committee to fill the open position. Motion passed unanimously. Nancy moved, seconded by Robyn, to appoint Karen as the council liaison to the personnel committee. Motion passed unanimously.
3. ANNUAL MEETING AGENDA – Bob read through the agenda for the Feb. 2 annual meeting noting that we do need a vote of the congregation to move the chart of the organizational structure of the church that is currently in the by-laws to the continuing resolutions section of our constitution.
4. 2020 BUDGET APPROVAL – Jim Stolle and Gordy Jacobson presented the final recommendation of the budget committee for the 2020 budget. Jim P. moved, seconded by Nancy, to approve the committee’s recommendations. Motion passed unanimously. Details of the budget will be shared/discussed with the congregation after each service on Sunday, January 26, and then officially voted on by the congregation at the annual meeting on Feb. 2. Bob moved, seconded by Rick, transferring $10,000 from the 2019 General Fund balance to General Reserve. Motion passed unanimously. The council expressed their appreciation for the many hours the budget team volunteers devoted to developing this budget recommendation.
5. BENEVOLENCES FOR 2020 – Pastor Paul moved that we shift the $250 gifted to New Pathways in 2019 to Bridges of Hope in 2020, and that we accept the other benevolences totaling $10,000 as shown in 2019. Rick seconded. Motion passed unanimously. These benevolences will be voted upon by the congregation at the Feb. 2 annual meeting.