In Monthly Council Minutes . . .
Immanuel Lutheran Church
February Council Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, February 13th, 2018
I. Call to Order
A. Acceptance of Agenda Nancy moved to accept the agenda without changes. Casey seconded. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
B. Reading of Mission Statement:
Immanuel Lutheran Church is a community of Christians who welcome all people to GATHER in worship, to GROW in God’s Word and grace, and to GO forward in faith to serve others in Jesus’ name. We gather in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.
C. Celebrating the Joys of Immanuel: Good showing for the annual meeting. Thankful for the ministry of Pastors Fred, Claudia, and Molly during Pastor Paul’s absence. Pastor Paul’s recovery. The SuperBowl kettle did well. Next month we pay off the church mortgage! Successful Meal with a Mission for Days for Girls.
D. Devotions/Homework: Perfectly Imperfect Church– “Path 7: Inclusive” discussion
This month: Nancy Evans Next Month: Rick Kleinschmidt
Gracious God, open our eyes to see the things that you are already doing in our midst. Surround us with your living presence and fill us with your Holy Spirit and help us to bless those things that you are doing among us in Jesus’ name. Tonight we pray for… We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
II. Council Business
A. Review & Acceptance of Financial Reports from January Gene Lofquist addressed questions and noted corrections. A motion was made by Dan W. to accept the January financial report with the stipulation that at the closing of the mortgage, the three separate building accounts be rolled into one “Major Capital Improvement/Maintence Fund”. Seconded by Casey K. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
B. Discussion/Questions on the Minutes from January Previously approved via email.
C. Old Business
1. Alternate for Accounts Payable/Financial Secretary – at the recommendation of the personnel committee, an alternate for Gene Lofquist’s position has been sought in case one is ever needed for an emergency absence. One person has indicated an interest. Training time will be allotted.
2. Bonuses for church staff – at the recommendation of the personnel committee, a $500 bonus will be paid to both Gene and Brenda Lofquist for extra time that went unpaid during 2017, especially during the year-end reporting period. A motion was made by Dan W. to approve this bonus and to ask the personnel committee to track this activity each year and make bonus recommendations when appropriate for the council to approval. Seconded by Casey K. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
D. New Business
1. Filling of an open seat on the personnel committee – A motion was made to approve Sandy Twigg for the personnel committee by Chris R. Nancy E seconded. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
2. Personnel committee update – Position descriptions will be rewritten to reflect changes in duties for two open positions, member ministry and office assistant, so that several people may share those duties. A couple of church members have expressed interest in this shared position.
3. Council liaisons – New liaisons for 2018 are Casey Kannel replacing Lydia Kramer on the Finance/Audit team, Casey Kannel replacing James Freese on the Building team, Nancy Evans joining the Malawi team (with Lydia Kraemer continuing to manage the checkbook), and Chris Rudek joining the Youth/Children team. All other liaison positions remain the same as last year.
4. Filling of an open council position for a 3-year term – Pastor Paul will contact the person nominated during the council discussion.
E. Communion Assistants for April:
Copy assignments and place in Ministry Coordinator office mailbox
9 a.m. 10:30 a.m.
April 1st (8:30 am)__Nancy Evans__ __Casey Kannel_____
April 8th Rick Kleinschmidt ___Dan Wisniak ____
April 15th ___Chris Rudek__ ____Brian Oren_____
April 22nd __Nancy Evans__ ____Robyn Maki____
April 29th ___Bob Neros __ ____Dan Wisniak____
F. The Lord’s Prayer
Next meeting set for March 13th, 2018 at 6:30 pm